Sam was recognized by multiple organizations for his efforts to raise awareness of and funds for pediatric brain cancer research and for his contributions to his community.
Leadership Everyone Sam Featherstone Youth Award
Each year, Leadership Everyone recognizes individuals, companies, and organizations that make a difference in the community. Awards are presented in a number of categories, including a category that recognizes youth who have made outstanding contributions. Sam was awarded the 2013 Leadership Everyone Youth Award, and the award was thereafter renamed the Sam Featherstone Youth Award.
Winners of the Sam Featherstone Youth Award:
- 2013: Paige Miller (Individual), Youth Resources: TEENPOWER (Business/Organization), Ms. Stafford’s Second Grade Class (Project)
- 2014: Lydia Fleming (Individual), Girl Scout Troop 648 (Business/Organization), Ms. Specht’s Second Grade Class (Project)
- 2015: Ashley Eich and Josie Kirsch (Individual), Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library Paws for Tales (Business/Organization), Resurrection Catholic School First Grade Classes (Project)
- 2016: Dane Hancock (Individual), South Heights Elementary School (Business/Organization), Miss Golden Pageant (Project), Kyle Gorman (Overall)
- 2017: Katherine Cartwright (Individual), Boom Squad (Business/Organization), Jessica Clark (Project), Katherine Cartwright (Overall)
- 2018: Student Buddies (Individual), United Methodist Youth Home (Business/Organization),Youth Resources Teen Court (Project), Evansville Day School 4th Grade Giving Program (Overall)
- 2019: Dare to Dream (Project/Program), UE’s Mad Hot Balloon (Project/Program), South Side Stars Youth Zone (Business/Organization), Lorelei Taylor (Overall)
- 2020: Xavier Davidson (Individual), Noah Nellis (Individual), Blake Podewils (Individual), Piggies for Presents (Project/Program)
Leadership Everyone Youth Award
American Red Cross Hero of the Year
During the Evansville-Wabash Valley American Red Cross’ 2013 Heroes campaign, Sam was recognized as the 2013 American Red Cross Hero of the Year, along with Lane Goodwin, another child lost to childhood cancer. Click here to watch the video recorded by Andy and Tammy for the presentation ceremony.
St. Jude/ALSAC Richard C. Shadyac Sr. Award
In June 2013, Sam was awarded the Richard C. Shadyac Sr. Award by St. Jude / ALSAC. The award is named for the former ALSAC CEO and is given to the St. Jude patient or former patient who exemplifies the mission of St. Jude. The award was presented in Sam’s honor to Tammy, Andy, and Susan at the annual St. Jude Volunteer Awards Dinner. The award was presented by Rick C. Shadyac Jr., current ALSAC CEO and son of Richard, and by Tony Thomas, son of St. Jude founder Danny Thomas.